With today being World Environment Day it is a good opportunity to look at the ways that trade unions have been working to reduce the carbon footprint of the workplaces that they organise.
A good place to start is by looking at the TUC report - The Union Effect: Greening the workplace
This report presents the experiences of six organisations which have made a serious effort to lessen the impact of their operations on the environment and, in particular, to reduce their carbon footprint. It looks at the measurable progress that has been made, and the role of unions in that progress.
· The six case studies cover the public and private sectors, as well as a range of industries:
· Allianz Insurance: a financial services company
· Defra (York): a central government department
· EDF Energy: one of the big six energy companies
· Furzedown Low Carbon Zone: a community project based on a further education college
· Great Ormond Street Hospital, an NHS Trust
· The Port of Felixstowe, the largest in the UK.
To find out more, and to get your copy, go to the TUC Publications page