On 8 July 2013, unionlearn held the ‘Putting Technicians on the Agenda’ conference.
Watch the video on Vimeo: Putting Technicians on the Agenda - conference.
The event raised awareness of the fact that for too long technicians have not had enough recognition for the productive role they play in society and the valuable skills they hold which directly contribute to the UK’s economic success.
The event promoted the important role that trade unions can play in supporting technicians to exercise
- a collective voice in the workplace
- get improved status and better recognition of their contribution and skills through professional registration
- improved training and development opportunities
Speakers on the day included:
- Tom Wilson (Director, unionlearn)
- Mike Clancy (General Secretary, Prospect)
- Dr Sarah Peers (Director of Programmes: ‘NEF: The Innovation Institute’)
- Denise Bertuchi, Assistant National Officer, UNISON, Education and Children's Services
- Kevin Dinnage, Independent Project Leader and Facilitator, Engineering Council.
- Diana Garnham, Chief Executive of the Science Council.
- David Hughes, Head of the Engineering Academy, E.ON