Where can you study part-time?

Part-time courses are available from a range of providers.

Universities provide the majority of HE courses across the country, both full and part time. They offer a very wide range of subjects and qualifications and are focused on teaching HE qualifications to a broad range of learners. An increasing number of institutions now offer vocational and work-related degrees, including Foundation degrees.

The Open University offers HE courses to learners across the UK through distance learning. The OU has around 150,000 learners taking degree courses, including Foundation degrees, nearly all studying part-time and around 70% in full-time employment. The Open University also has a Business School which offers a range of management qualifications.

Single subject higher education institutions, for example: agricultural colleges, medical schools, colleges of art and design and drama schools; offer a narrower range of courses within a particular subject area. They are often the best choice if a learner is set on pursuing a career in that sector of employment. Specialist management schools are slightly different in that they offer specialist qualifications that can be used in many different sectors of employment.

Further education colleges offer an increasing number of HE level courses, particularly for learners who want the opportunity to study locally on a part-time basis. Many further education colleges offer HNC/D and Foundation degrees too, both of which are work-related qualifications. You may also find professional qualifications and competence based qualifications on offer at a local college. For information on all of the above institutions, visit the the National Careers Service website or GOV.UK information on higher education courses

Private training providers offer a range of work-related and professional qualifications in a number of job related areas. Usually a private training provider has a learning centre that focuses on particular areas of training, for example IT, Customer Service or Beauty Therapy. Some of the qualifications on offer will be at a professional level and may be linked to Level 4 and 5 competence based qualifications. The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) has a register of private training providers. Visit GOV.UK’s Check if a university or college is officially recognised guide for information about how to avoid "bogus degrees".