Mental health in the workplace is an increasingly important issue for trade unions. There is much stigma and discrimination around mental health and particularly mental ill health. These are issues of justice, equality and fairness - core trade union business.
Please note that this course offer through unionlearn is only open to unions affiliated to the TUC.
The Mental Health First Aid England course qualifies you as a Mental Health First Aider.
Mental Health First Aiders have:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect well-being
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support - whether that's self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS or a mix
We require 8 to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn. Through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions, each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan.
|Session 1||Session 2|
|Session 3||Session 4|
A nominal charge of £480 per course applies to cover the cost of the MHFA England resources. Everyone who completes the course gets:
- A MHFA manual to refer to whenever they need it
- A course activity workbook
- A wallet-sized z-card of the Mental Health First Aid action plan
- A certificate to say they are a Mental Health First Aider
To host a course at your workplace or union you will need:
- A room large enough to host a maximum of 18 people (16 participants and 2 facilitators)
- 8 - 16 participants
- PowerPoint facilities with audio
- Tea/Coffee and water
For further information or to organise your course, please contact [email protected]