Air-conditioning and refrigeration engineers
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Jobholders in this unit group install, service and repair air-conditioning and refrigeration systems in factories, offices, shops and homes.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements although some employers may request GCSEs/S grades. Training is via an apprenticeship, or BTEC, City & Guilds or other specialised qualification.
- examines the proposed site to establish if installation plans are practical;
- plans layout of the system (pipework, ducts and control panels);
- produces detailed estimate of costs of the work;
- plans work schedule and installs the system;
- inspects and tests the installation;
- carries our maintenance checks and repairs.