Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Architects plan and design the construction and development of buildings and land areas with regard to functional and aesthetic requirements.
QualificationsEntrants require a professional qualification in architecture that will encompass an accredited degree and postgraduate qualification, and at least two years practical experience.
- liaises with client and other professionals to establish building type, style, cost limitations and landscaping requirements;
- studies condition and characteristics of site, taking into account drainage, topsoil, trees, rock formations, etc.;
- analyses site survey and advises client on development and construction details and ensures that proposed design blends in with the surrounding area;
- prepares detailed scale drawings and specifications for design and construction and submits these for planning approval;
- monitors construction work in progress to ensure compliance with specifications.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.