Architectural and town planning technicians
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Architectural and town planning technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist architects and planners with the design of buildings and the layout of urban and rural areas.
QualificationsEntrants possess a variety of qualifications including GCSEs/S grades, a BTEC/SQA award, an Advanced GNVQ/GSVQ Level III or a degree. Professional qualifications are available and membership to professional institutions may be required for some posts.
- investigates proposed design with regard to practicality, cost and use;
- prepares building plans, drawings and specifications for use by contractors;
- liaises with engineers and building contractors regarding technical construction problems and attends site meetings on behalf of architect;
- surveys land and property uses and prepares report for planning authority;
- issues development permits as authorised;
- checks that completed work conforms to specifications.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.