Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Artists create artistic works using appropriate techniques, materials and media; design artwork and illustrations; and restore damaged pieces of art.
QualificationsNo specific academic qualifications are required although a variety of vocational qualifications, degrees and postgraduate courses are available. Entry can be based upon portfolio work.
- conceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition;
- selects appropriate materials, medium and method;
- prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes;
- builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc.;
- approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed;
- uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks;
- liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations;
- markets and sells finished work directly to customers;
- produces works on commission basis for clients.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.