Bakers and flour confectioners
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Bakers and flour confectioners prepare and bake dough, pastry and cake mixtures and make and finish flour confectionary products by hand.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically received on-the-job or by apprenticeship. Apprenticeships and traineeships leading to NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available.
- weighs ingredients according to recipe;
- mixes ingredients using hand or machine to obtain the required consistency;
- rolls and cuts pastry, stretches, kneads and moulds dough to form bread, rolls and buns;
- fills and glazes pastry, mixes ingredients for cakes;
- bakes bread, pastry and cakes;
- makes cake decorations, spreads icing, fillings and toppings on products.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.