Business, research and administrative professionals n.e.c.
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Workers in this unit group advise on the formulation and implementation of policy in the public and private sectors, develop and implement substantial business, statistical and administrative systems, and perform a variety of functions not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 242: Business, research and administrative professionals.
QualificationsEntrants typically possess a degree or an equivalent qualification. Entry is also possible by internal promotion for those with appropriate experience. Training is often provided on-the-job in the form of short courses for specialist areas.
- coordinates the organisation’s services and resources, liaising with other senior staff;
- analyses internal processes and systems, recommends and implements procedural and policy changes;
- recruits and manages staff, assigns and delegates tasks and duties, makes changes in procedures to deal with variations in workload;
- develops plans, sets objectives and monitors and evaluates performance;
- prepares and reviews operational and financial reports;
- controls and administers budgets.
- advises national and local government on the interpretation and implementation of policy decisions, acts and regulations, and provides technical assistance in the formulation of policy;
- co-ordinates and directs the activities of Revenue and Customs offices, Job Centres, Benefits Agency offices and other local offices of national government;
- registers and maintains records of all births, deaths and marriages in local authority area, issues appropriate certificates and reports any suspicious causes of death to the coroner.
- negotiates and monitors contracted out services provided by the private sector to local government studies and acts upon any legislation that may affect the local authority.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.