Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Butchers direct and undertake the slaughter of animals and prepare carcasses for storage, processing and sale.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically by apprenticeship. NVQs/SVQs are available at Levels 2 and 3. Professional qualifications are also available.
- slaughters animal and removes skin, hide, hairs, internal organs, etc.;
- cuts or saws carcasses into manageable portions;
- removes bones, gristle, surplus fat, rind and other waste material;
- cuts carcass parts into chops, joints, steaks, etc. for sale;
- prepares meat for curing or other processing; cleans tools and work surfaces.