Call and contact centre occupations
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Workers in this unit group receive and respond to telephone calls from potential clients and existing customers regarding the products and services offered by an organisation.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, although many employers expect candidates to possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically provided on-the-job, supplemented by specialist short courses.
- answers incoming telephone calls from existing or prospective customers;
- interviews caller to establish the nature of any complaint or the requirements of the client;
- informs existing and potential customers on any immediate action to be taken, and refers the matter to a more senior member of staff if necessary;
- advises on services available and sells additional products or services;
- maintains details of calls received, the action taken as a result of a call and updates customer database as required;
- arranges for field staff to visit the caller if further assistance is required.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.