Careers advisers and vocational guidance specialists
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Job holders in this unit group give advice on careers or occupations, training courses and related matters, direct school leavers and other job seekers into employment and assess their progress.
QualificationsEntrants often possess a degree, an approved diploma or equivalent qualification. Professional training towards the Qualification in Careers Guidance consists of a one-year full-time course followed by a one-year probationary period of on-the-job training. NVQs/SVQs in Advice and Guidance at Levels 3 and 4 are available. Those working with young people or vulnerable adults will require CRB clearance.
- uses an interview, questionnaire and/or psychological or other test to determine the aptitude, preferences and temperament of the client;
- advises on appropriate courses of study or avenues into employment;
- visits educational and other establishments to give talks and distribute information regarding careers;
- liaises with employers to determine employment opportunities and advises schools, colleges or individuals accordingly;
- organises careers forums and exhibitions and establishes and maintains contact with local employers, colleges and training providers;
- monitors progress and welfare of young people in employment and advises them on any difficulties.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.