Carpenters and joiners
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Carpenters and joiners construct, erect, install and repair wooden structures and fittings used in internal and external frameworks and cut, shape, fit and assemble wood to make templates, jigs, scale models and scenic equipment for theatres.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
- examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements;
- selects and measures appropriate wood and cuts, shapes and drills to specification using saws, planes, chisels and other power or hand tools;
- aligns and fixes prepared wood pieces by screwing, nailing, gluing and dowelling to form frames, shop fronts, counter units, decking, theatrical sets, furniture, small wooden craft, scale models and wooden templates;
- checks accuracy of work with square, rule and spirit level;
- maintains and repairs woodwork and fittings.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.