Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Chefs plan menus and prepare, or oversee the preparation of food in hotels, restaurants, clubs, private households and other establishments.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs, BTEC Certificates and Diplomas and foundation degrees are available. Apprenticeships leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 are also available. Courses are also run by private cookery schools.
- requisitions or purchases and examines foodstuffs from suppliers to ensure quality;
- plans menus, prepares, seasons and cooks foodstuffs or oversees their preparation and monitors the quality of finished dishes;
- supervises, organises and instructs kitchen staff and manages the whole kitchen or an area of the kitchen;
- ensures relevant hygiene and health and safety standards are maintained within the kitchen;
- plans and co-ordinates kitchen work such as fetching, clearing and cleaning of equipment and utensils.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.