Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Chemical scientists analyse and research physical aspects of chemical structure and change within substances and develop chemical techniques used in the manufacture or modification of natural substances and processed products.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a degree. Entry may also be possible with an appropriate BTEC/SQA award, an Advanced GNVQ/GSVQ Level III, or other academic qualifications. Further specialist training is provided on the job. Some employers may expect entrants to gain professional qualifications.
- develops experimental procedures, instruments and recording and testing systems;
- conducts experiments to identify chemical composition, energy and chemical changes in natural substances and processed materials;
- analyses results and experimental data;
- tests techniques and processes for reliability under a variety of conditions;
- develops procedures for quality control of manufactured products.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.