Childminders and related occupations
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Childminders and related occupations provide day-to-day care of children within a domestic setting, and supervise and participate in their play, educational and other activities.
QualificationsEntry may not depend upon academic qualifications, although employers may expect a candidate to possess a qualification accredited by the Council for Awards in Children’s Care or other qualifications. Childminders must be registered with OFSTED to care for children under the age of 8 years. NVQs/SVQs in Child Care and Education are available at Levels 2 and 3. A minimum age limit of 18 years applies, and CRB clearance is mandatory.
- assists children to wash and dress;
- changes babies’ nappies and clothes as necessary and makes up bottles for feeds;
- plans, prepares and serves children’s meals and supervises children during meals;
- mends, washes and irons children’s clothes and tidies their rooms;
- provides, supervises and participates in children’s indoor and outdoor play activities to promote their development;
- takes children to participate in play groups or on appropriate outings;
- takes older children to and from school;
- maintains appropriate records of children’s development;
- complies with regulations set by OFSTED and their inspection requirements.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.