Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Job holders in this unit group operate telecommunications equipment to transmit and receive signals and messages.
QualificationsAcademic qualifications may not be required. On-the-job training is provided.
- receives messages, weather reports and other material to transmit;
- tunes transmitter to required channel or wavelength and relays or receives message to/ from person or vehicle;
- uses a teleprinter or telex keyboard to transmit messages to other teleprinters or telexes;
- keeps record of messages sent and received;
- performs routine tests and maintenance on equipment and reports faults;
- receives and handles incoming calls for emergency services, transmitting to the appropriate services.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.