Construction operatives n.e.c.
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Workers in this unit group operate insulating equipment, fix plasterboard or dry linings to ceilings and walls, help construct, maintain, repair and demolish buildings and clean and resurface eroded stonework, lay, join and examine pipe sections for drainage, gas, water or similar piping systems and carry out a variety of other construction operative tasks not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 814: Construction Operatives.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in General Construction Operations are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3.
- fills machine with insulating mixture, positions hose, drills access hole and fills cavities or coats surfaces to prevent loss or absorption of heat and provide fire protection;
- selects appropriate plasterboard or dry lining panels, cuts them to required size and fixes them to ceilings and walls;
- cuts, shapes and fits wood, lays bricks and tiles, cleans exterior surfaces of buildings and resurfaces eroded stone or brickwork, and performs other tasks in the construction, alteration, repair and demolition of buildings;
- selects appropriate asbestos, clay, concrete, plastic or metal pipe sections and lowers them into prepared trenches using hoisting equipment;
- joints pipe by sealing with rubber, cement, lead, etc., connects piping to manholes and attaches pipe junctions as required;
- tests joints with electronic test equipment or by filling piping with water, smoke or compressed air.