Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Jobholders in this unit group provide counselling services to clients with a wide variety of problems by means of assisting them to reach their own resolutions to the difficulties they face. Counsellors may specialise in a particular area or client group or address a wide range of issues.
QualificationsThere are no formal qualifications to entry but relevant experience is necessary. Many employers will expect entrants to have achieved or be working towards accreditation with a professional body via certification or a diploma in counselling. Background checks including a CRB check are likely to be required for counsellors working with vulnerable adults and/or families.
- meets clients face-to-face, working either one-to-one or with couples or families, or by telephone or internet;
- encourages clients to discuss their feelings in relation to their problems, aiming to ensure that an understanding of the issues is achieved;
- presents different perspectives to the problem areas identified;
- refers to other appropriate sources of help;
- keeps accurate and confidential records.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.