Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Dental nurses prepare patients for, and assist with, dental examinations, prepare and sterilise instruments and maintain case records.
QualificationsEntry is most common with GCSEs/S grades. Training is available both off- and on-the-job. Most entrants work towards the National Certificate for Dental Nurses.
- prepares patient for examination;
- prepares and sterilises instruments and follows guidelines to maintain sterile conditions within the surgery;
- hands required equipment and medication to dentist during examination;
- assists with minor treatment, such as preparing materials for fillings;
- removes water and saliva from patient’s mouth during treatment;
- maintains records, processes and mounts x?ray films and undertakes reception duties.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.