Design and development engineers
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Design and development engineers conceive engineering designs from product ideas or requirements in mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering.
QualificationsDesign and development engineers usually possess an accredited university degree or equivalent qualification. All routes are followed by periods of appropriate training and relevant experience in order to qualify for membership of a chartered engineering institution. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4.
- assesses product requirements, including costs, manufacturing feasibility and market requirements;
- prepares working designs for steam, aero, turbine, marine and electrical engines, mechanical instruments, aircraft and missile structures, vehicle and ship structures, plant and machinery equipment, domestic electrical appliances, building systems and services, and electronic computing and telecommunications equipment;
- arranges construction and testing of model or prototype and modifies design if necessary;
- produces final design information for use in preparation of layouts, parts lists, etc.;
- prepares specifications for materials and other components.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.