Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Dispensing opticians supply, fit and service spectacles, contact lenses and other optical aids in accordance with a prescription from an ophthalmologist or optometrist.
QualificationsEntry is most common with GCSEs/S grades or equivalent qualifications or experience, followed by up to three years training approved by the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO). Full-time, day-release or distance-learning options are available.
- interprets prescription and measures patient’s face to determine distance between pupil centres, height of bridge of nose, etc.;
- advises patient on lens type and choice of spectacle frames;
- prepares detailed instructions for workshop;
- ensures that completed spectacles conform to specification and fit the patient correctly and comfortably;
- fits spectacles and advises patient on lens care and any other difficulties likely to be experienced.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.