Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Driving instructors co-ordinate and undertake the instruction of people learning to drive cars, motorcycles, buses and haulage vehicles.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements. Candidates must have held a current driving licence for four out of the last six years, have no motoring or criminal convictions and be over 21 years old. To gain registration as an Approved Driving Instructor, entrants must pass a three-part examination. Instructors for Large Goods Vehicles (LGVs) and Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCVs) are trained internally or at specialist training establishments. NVQs/SVQs in Driving Instruction at Level 3 are available for instructors in all licence categories.
- checks instruction and learning standards and discusses teaching plans with other instructors;
- plans lessons in accordance with the needs and abilities of individual pupils;
- explains driving techniques and assists pupil with difficulties;
- familiarises pupil with the Highway Code and different road and traffic conditions;
- advises pupil when to apply for theoretical and practical driving tests and familiarises them with test procedures and standards.