Electrical and electronics technicians
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Electrical and electronics technicians perform a variety of miscellaneous technical support functions to assist with the design, development, installation, operation and maintenance of electrical and electronic systems.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades, an Intermediate GNVQ/GSVQ Level II or a BTEC/ SQA award. NVQs/SVQs in Servicing Electronic Systems are available at Levels 2 and 3.
- plans and prepares work and test schedules based on specifications and drawings;
- sets up equipment, undertakes tests, takes readings, performs calculations and records and interprets data;
- plans installation methods, checks completed installation for safety and controls or undertakes the initial running of the new electrical or electronic equipment or system;
- diagnoses and detects faults and implements procedures to maintain efficient operation of systems and equipment;
- visits and advises clients on the use and servicing of electrical and electronic systems and equipment.