Electricians and electrical fitters
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Electricians and electrical fitters assemble parts in the manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment, and install, maintain, and repair electrical plant, machinery, appliances and wiring.
QualificationsAcademic qualifications may not be required, though some GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification may be an advantage. NVQs/SVQs in Servicing Electronic Systems are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Apprenticeships combining practical work experience and technical training are available at Levels 2 and 3. Entrants must have good eyesight and normal colour vision.
- examines drawings, specifications and wiring diagrams to determine the method and sequence of operations;
- selects, cuts and lays wires and connects to sockets, plugs or terminals by crimping, soldering, brazing or bolting;
- cuts, bends and installs electrical conduit;
- assembles parts and sub-assemblies using hand tools and by brazing, riveting or welding;
- installs electrical plant, machinery and other electrical fixtures and appliances such as fuse boxes, generators, light sockets etc.;
- examines electrical plant or machinery, domestic appliances and other electrical assembly for faults using test equipment and replaces worn parts and faulty wiring.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.