Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Electroplaters operate continuous plant to coat metal parts and articles electrolytically, form metal articles by electro- and vacuum-deposition, dip and spray articles with another metal, plastic powder or other material and treat articles chemically to produce desired surface finishes.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Product Coating are available at Levels 2 and 3.
- cleans and rinses article or pre-shaped form to be coated;
- masks area not to be covered with wax, resistant adhesive tape or other material;
- fits appropriate nozzle on spray gun, loads spray gun with appropriate coating material and prepares electrolytic solutions;
- sets machine, plant, or equipment controls to regulate electric current and temperature of molten zinc, tin, chromium, copper or other non-ferrous metal;
- immerses articles in plating solutions or sprays article until required thickness of coating has been deposited;
- removes article from solution and centrifuges, if necessary, to remove excess molten metal before cooling.