Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Workers in this unit group perform a variety of professional engineering functions not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 212: Engineering Professionals.
QualificationsChartered engineers possess an accredited university degree. After qualifying, periods of appropriate training and experience are required before membership of a chartered engineering institution is attainable. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4. All routes are followed by periods of appropriate training and relevant experience.
- researches into problem areas to advance basic knowledge, evaluate new theories and techniques and to solve specific problems;
- establishes principles and techniques to improve the quality, durability and performance of materials such as textiles, glass, rubber, plastics, ceramics, metals and alloys;
- designs new systems and equipment with regard to cost, market requirements and feasibility of manufacture;
- devises and implements control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of system and materials;
- prepare sketches, drawings and specifications showing materials to be used, construction and finishing methods and other details;
- examines and advises on patent applications;
- provides technical consultancy services.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.