Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Engineering technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist engineers with the design, development, operation, installation and maintenance of engineering systems and constructions.
QualificationsEntrants to training usually posses GCSEs/S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 or 4. An NVQ/SVQ in Aircraft Engineering Maintenance at Level 3 plus further professional qualifications are required to become a licensed aircraft engineer.
- plans and prepares work and test schedules based on specifications and drawings;
- sets up equipment, undertakes tests, takes readings, performs calculations and records and interprets data;
- prepares estimates of materials, equipment and labour required for engineering projects;
- diagnoses and detects faults and implements procedures to maintain efficient operation of systems and equipment;
- inspects completed aircraft maintenance work to certify that it meets standards and the aircraft is ready for operation;
- visits and advises clients on the use and servicing of mechanical and chemical engineering products and services.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.