Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Farm workers perform a variety of tasks, by hand and machine, to produce and harvest crops and to breed and rear cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry.
QualificationsThere are no minimum academic entry requirements. Training is typically received on-the-job, supplemented by vocational training at an agricultural college. A variety of NVQs/SVQs in Agriculture are available at Levels 1 and 2, together with BTEC diplomas and apprenticeships in some areas.
- operates farm machinery to prepare soil, fertilise and treat crops;
- cultivates growing crops by hoeing, spraying and thinning as necessary;
- weighs and measures foodstuffs, feeds animals and checks them for any signs of disease;
- cleans barns, sheds, pens, yards, incubators and breeding units and sterilises milking and other equipment as necessary;
- treats minor ailments and assists veterinary surgeon as required;
- moves and handles livestock and tends them during birth and rearing of young;
- carries out maintenance on farm buildings, hedges, ditches and erects and repairs fences.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.