Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Farmers and related occupations cultivate arable crops, fruits and trees, and raise cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry and other livestock for consumption.
QualificationsNo formal academic qualifications are required, but prior practical farming experience is normally needed. Training is typically received on-the-job and via a variety of vocational qualifications in agriculture, including NVQs/SVQs at Levels 1 to 4. Apprenticeships are also available in some areas.
- feeds and waters animals, takes responsibility for livestock health and welfare, treats minor ailments and calls vet if necessary;
- plants, propagates, sprays, fertilises and harvests field crops;
- undertakes farm maintenance tasks such as fencing, hedging, cleaning and building maintenance;
- operates and maintains farm machinery such as combine harvesters, straw balers, milking machines and tractors;
- arranges for the sale of crops, livestock and other farm produce;
- maintains records of production, finance and breeding;
- ensures good environmental practice is observed in all tasks.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.