Garage managers and proprietors
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Garage managers and proprietors plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the day-to-day running of garages and specialist vehicle maintenance and repair establishments.
QualificationsThere are no pre-set entry requirements, although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades or vocational qualifications such as Automotive NVQs/SVQs at level 3. Off- and on-the-job training is provided.
- determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term requirements;
- ensures that necessary spare parts, materials and equipment are available or obtainable at short notice;
- arranges for maintenance staff to perform necessary maintenance and repair work on vehicles or motorcycles;
- checks completed work for compliance with safety and other statutory regulations;
- maintains records of repair work to detect recurrent faults;
- provides information about garage merchandise for staff and customers;
- ensures the business accounts are maintained.