Gardeners and landscape gardeners
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Gardeners and landscape gardeners cultivate flowers, trees, shrubs and other plants in public and private gardens, construct features to improve the appearance of existing terrain, and cut and lay turf.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. NVQs/SVQs in Horticulture are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Professional qualifications are also available.
- levels ground and installs drainage system as required;
- prepares soil and plants and transplants, prunes, weeds and otherwise tends plant life;
- protects plants from pests and diseases;
- cuts and lays turf using hand and machine tools and repairs damaged turf;
- prepares or interprets garden design plans;
- moves soil to alter surface contour of land using mechanical equipment and constructs paths, rockeries, ponds and other features;
- performs general garden maintenance.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.