Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Graphic designers use illustrative, sound, visual and multimedia techniques to convey a message for information, entertainment, advertising, promotion or publicity purposes, and create special visual effects and animations for computer games, film, interactive and other media.
QualificationsEntrants have usually completed a foundation course, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree and/or postgraduate qualification. NVQs/SVQs in Design (in various disciplines) are available at Levels 2 and 3. Portfolio work is also important for entry.
- liaises with client to clarify aims of project brief, discusses media, software and technology to be used, establishes timetable for project and defines budgetary constraints;
- undertakes research into project, considers previous related projects and compares costs of using different processes;
- prepares sketches, scale drawings, models, colour schemes and other mock-ups to show clients and discusses any required alterations;
- prepares specification and instructions for realisation of the project;
- liaises with other parts of the production team to ensure graphic design fits with other elements, processes and timescales;
- produces or oversees creation of the final product.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.