Hairdressers and barbers
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Hairdressers and barbers shampoo, cut, colour, style and treat hair.
QualificationsThere are no minimum academic requirements for entry, although some colleges require candidates to possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is provided off- and on-the-job and lasts up to three years leading to the awarding of NVQs/SVQs at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Apprenticeships leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 are also available.
- discusses customer requirements, analyses hair condition and other relevant features to define and advise on hair style;
- washes, conditions, bleaches, tints or dyes hair and provides any necessary basic scalp treatments;
- cuts and trims hair using scissors, clippers, razor and comb;
- combs, brushes, blow-dries or sets wet hair in rollers to style or straighten;
- shaves and trims beards and moustaches;
- collects payment, arranges appointments and cleans and tidies salon;
- maintains client records and keeps up-to-date with new products, styles and techniques;
- ensures hair products are stored and used appropriately and observes relevant health and safety factors;
- demonstrates, sells and recommends hair care products to clients and advises them on hair care.