Health care practice managers
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Healthcare practice managers plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the work and resources of medical, dental and other types of healthcare practice, including veterinary practices.
QualificationsThere are no pre-set entry requirements. Candidates are recruited with a variety of academic qualifications or with relevant experience. Professional qualifications are available and are required for certain posts.
- plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities of practice staff;
- oversees staff training and monitors training needs;
- takes responsibility for health and safety matters within the practice;
- negotiates contracts for services with other health care providers and purchasers;
- maintains patient files on medical history, consultations made and treatment undertaken and/or drugs prescribed;
- organises duty rosters for professional and support staff in practice;
- takes responsibility for stock control of practice equipment, drugs etc.;
- liaises with relevant outside organisations (e.g. NHS trust, PCT, social services, drug companies, professional bodies);
- responsible for budgeting, pricing and accounting activities within the practice.