Higher education teaching professionals
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Higher education teaching professionals deliver lectures and teach students to at least first degree level, undertake research and write journal articles and books in their chosen field of study.
QualificationsEntry will require a good honours first degree plus a higher degree or an equivalent professional qualification. For vocational subjects, practical experience and additional qualifications may also be required.
- prepares, delivers and directs lectures, seminars and tutorials;
- prepares, administers and marks examinations, essays and other assignments;
- advises students on academic matters and encourages independent research;
- provides pastoral care or guidance to students;
- participates in decision making processes regarding curricula, budgetary, departmental and other matters;
- directs the work of postgraduate students;
- undertakes research, writes articles and books and attends conferences and other meetings.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.