Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Hospital porters perform various manual tasks in hospitals to assist nursing and domestic staff with the care of patients.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. Entrants must typically pass a medical examination and may be required to hold a driving licence.
- lifts, escorts and wheels patients between hospital wards;
- assists with the delivery of meals, laundry, medical supplies and post to the wards or theatres;
- moves hospital equipment and furniture;
- collects and disposes of refuse from wards and other departments;
- assists with unloading and delivery of supplies.