Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Housing officers assess and address housing needs of particular localities and individuals and oversee the day-to-day management of rented properties belonging to local authorities or housing associations.
QualificationsEntry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant work experience. NVQs/SVQs in Housing are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4. Professional qualifications are available and may be required for some posts.
- Oversees the day-to-day running of rented properties including arranging for the signing of leases, rent collection and maintenance work;
- interviews prospective tenants and allocates properties to waiting list applicants;
- carries out regular inspections of properties to assess and ensure they are in a good state of repair;
- ensures that special needs accommodation is suited to the needs of particular groups such as the elderly and disabled, and that statutory requirements for providing accommodation are met;
- refers tenants to appropriate sources of benefits and welfare;
- deals with payment of rents and arrears, arranges for legal action where necessary;
- supports tenants’ groups;
- works closely with other agencies such as social services departments and welfare rights groups.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.