Importers and exporters
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Importers and exporters buy commodities from overseas for the home market and sell home-produced commodities to overseas markets.
QualificationsEntry does not depend on academic qualifications although some employers require candidates to have a degree or equivalent qualification. Some posts require candidates to have knowledge of a foreign language. Professional qualifications are available. Entrance to professional examinations requires GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades or equivalent qualifications.
- investigates and evaluates home and overseas demand for particular commodities;
- obtains orders from buyers and arranges payment by bill of exchange, letter of credit or other means;
- arranges for shipment of commodities overseas and ensures that insurance and export licences are in order;
- carries out customs clearance procedures for imports, arranges their storage and delivery and sells them personally or through a commodity broker;
- advises home and overseas producers on the likely future demand for their goods.