Information technology and telecommunications directors
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Job holders in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the work and resources necessary to provide and operate information technology and telecommunications services within an organisation.
QualificationsThere are no pre-set entry requirements although candidates usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification together with substantial, relevant work experience. A variety of professional and postgraduate qualifications is available.
- develops in consultation with other senior management the IT/telecommunications strategy of the organisation;
- directs the implementation within the organisation of IT/telecommunications strategy, infrastructure, procurement, procedures and standards;
- develops the periodic business plan and operational budget for IT/telecommunications to deliver agreed service levels;
- considers the required IT/telecommunications staffing levels, oversees recruitment and appointment of staff and directs training policy;
- prioritises and schedules major IT/telecommunications projects;
- ensures that new technologies are researched and evaluated in the light of the organisation’s broad requirements.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.