Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
IT engineers install, maintain and repair the physical components of computer systems and equipment.
QualificationsEntry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades, BTEC/SQA awards, an Advanced GNVQ/ GSVQ Level III or a degree. Training is usually provided on-the-job supplemented by specialised courses. Postgraduate and professional qualifications, and NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available.
- installs, tests and maintains computer-related hardware (processors, memory chips, circuit boards, displays, sensors, data storage devices, printers, etc.) according to given specifications;
- diagnoses hardware related faults;
- repairs or replaces defective components;
- advises on and installs operating soft/firm ware and may carry out upgrades;
- maintains documentation to track and log work in progress and completed.