Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Legal secretaries file and maintain legal and other records, transcribe notes and dictation into typewritten form and perform other routine clerical tasks in legal practices.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements, although employers may expect candidate to possess a legal secretarial qualification. Entrants to professional legal courses typically require GCSEs/ S grades or equivalent qualifications. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- types letters and legal documents such as wills and contracts;
- maintains court and clients’ records, organises diaries and arranges appointments;
- answers enquiries and directs clients to appropriate experts;
- attends meetings and keeps records of proceedings;
- delivers and collects documents;
- sorts and files correspondence and carries out general clerical work.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.