Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Librarians appraise, obtain, index, collate and make available library acquisitions and organise and control other library services.
QualificationsEntry will normally require an accredited degree or postgraduate qualification. Most postgraduate courses require applicants to have had prior relevant work experience. Professional qualifications and NVQs/SVQs in Information and Library Service are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- selects and arranges for the acquisition of books, periodicals, audio-visual and other material;
- collects, classifies and catalogues information, books and other material;
- prepares and circulates abstracts, bibliographies, book lists, etc.;
- identifies the information needs of clients, seeks out and evaluates information sources;
- establishes information storage systems to deal with queries and to maintain up to date records;
- manages library borrowing and inter-library loan facilities;
- promotes library services through displays and talks
- provides learning and cultural experiences through events such as author talks, reading groups, formal and informal teaching.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.