Library clerks and assistants
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Library clerks and assistants classify, sort and file publications, documents, audio-visual and computerised material in libraries and offices.
QualificationsThere are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades or A-Levels/H grades. Training is usually provided on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Information and Library Services are available at Levels 2 and 3.
- sorts, catalogues and maintains library records;
- locates and retrieves material on request for borrowers;
- issues library material and records date of issue/ due date for return;
- classifies, labels and indexes new books;
- performs simple repairs on old books.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.