Managers and directors in retail and wholesale
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Retail and wholesale managers and directors plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the operations of major retail and wholesale establishments in order to maximise business performance and meet financial goals.
QualificationsEntry requirements vary from company to company. Entrants may possess GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, GNVQs/GSVQs, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Entry is also possible through promotion after gaining sufficient experience. NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at Level 4.
- appoints staff, assigns tasks and monitors and reviews staff performance;
- liaises with other staff to provide information about merchandise, special promotions etc. to customers;
- ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and that stock keeping is carried out efficiently;
- ensures customer complaints and queries regarding sales and service are appropriately handled;
- oversees the maintenance of financial and other records and controls security arrangements for the premises;
- authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price, discount rates and credit terms;
- examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.