Marketing and sales directors
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Marketing and sales directors plan, organise and direct market research and formulate and implement an organisation’s marketing and sales policies.
QualificationsEntry is generally via career progression from related occupations (e.g. Marketing Manager, Sales Manager). Entrants to the professional qualifications of the Chartered Institute of Marketing require GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification and/or relevant experience.
- liaises with other senior staff to determine the range of goods or services to be sold;
- discusses employer’s or clients’ requirements, plans and monitors surveys and analyses of customers’ reactions to products;
- examines and analyses sales figures, advises on and monitors marketing campaigns and promotional activities;
- controls the recruitment and training of staff;
- produces and/or assesses reports and recommendations concerning marketing and sales strategies.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.