Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Medical secretaries deal with correspondence, make appointments and handle patients’ queries; file and maintain medical and other records; transcribe notes and dictation; and perform other clerical tasks in hospitals/surgeries and other medical establishments.
QualificationsEntrants require GCSEs/S grades or an Intermediate GNVQ/GSVQ Level II. To qualify as a medical secretary, entrants take a one-year full-time or two-year part-time diploma in medical secretarial studies. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- sorts and files correspondence and maintains diary of the person/s for whom he/she works;
- transcribes dictation into required format;
- maintains patients’ records and arranges appointments;
- answers enquiries and refers patient to appropriate experts;
- organises and attends meetings and takes minutes of proceedings;
- books resources such as rooms and refreshments, and orders stationery and other supplies as appropriate.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.