Metal plate workers, and riveters
Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Metal plate workers and riveters mark off, drill, shape, position, rivet and seal metal plates and girders to form structures and frameworks.
QualificationsEntrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is usually via apprenticeship including practical experience and technical training. Apprenticeships in Engineering Materials Processing, Engineering Assembly and Engineering Construction are available.
- examines drawings and specifications and uses rules, scribes and punches to mark out metal plate with guidelines and reference points;
- cuts metal plate to markings using hand or machine tools;
- uses machine tools to bend, curve, punch, drill and straighten metal plate as required;
- uses hydraulic jacks to position and align metal platework or frame for welding and bolting;
- selects suitable rivets and rivets together metal plates and girders;
- seals seams with caulking compound, smoothes welds, fixes metal doors, metal collars, portholes, tank and hatch covers and performs other metal plate finishing tasks using a variety of hand and power tools.