Average Annual Pay
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2017
Average Weekly Hours
Annual Survey of Hours and Earning 2015
Labour Force Survey 2018
Future employment projections (Working Futures UK)
Musicians write, arrange, orchestrate, conduct and perform musical compositions.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements although many possess a degree and/or diploma. Entry to a degree or graduate diploma course requires A levels/H grades. Entrants to the performers’ diploma course generally possess GCSEs/S grades and Associated Board Graded Examination passes in their chosen instrument(s) and will be required to audition. Apprenticeships at NVQ Levels 2 and 3 are available in some areas.
- conceives and writes original music;
- tunes instrument and studies and rehearses score;
- plays instrument as a soloist or as a member of a group or orchestra;
- scores music for different combinations of voices and instruments to produce desired effect;
- auditions and selects performers and rehearses and conducts them in the performance of the composition.
Common job titles
Destination of Leavers survey, supplied by the Higher Education Statistics.